Friday, April 30, 2010

Jeremy Guthrie vs. The Yankees

As I'm sure we're all aware, Jeremy Guthrie has plunked a few Yankees this season.  He hit Mark Teixeira in spring training, and then drilled Jorge Posada on Wednesday.  Joe Girardi was not a happy man:
"I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, but he hits a lot of people,” Girardi said. “That’s frustrating for us. We know he’s going to pitch inside and I don’t have a problem with that. What do you expect, me to be happy that our guys are getting plunked? I’m frustrated by it. I wish he had better command in there."
Actually, it seems to me like he's hitting his spots quite well, thank you very much.  Here is Guthrie's hit by pitch per game, broken down by team, courtesy of a Yankee fan coworker:

That tall line in the middle?  Yep, that's the Yankees.  Guthrie is hitting Yankees at twice the rate he hits any other single opponent.  I don't know exactly what they did to make him mad, but he apparently didn't like it.
___________________________

No comments: